Monday, February 8, 2010

name calling


There is another L. in our L.'s kindergarten class! They have become friends and the other L. came over for a playdate over the weekend. I laughed to discover that they call each other by their first and last names, just like their teacher and classmates do. I tried to explain they didn't have to do that when they addressed each other, but they didn't seem to get it.
_________

Some of you might remember that when Aunt Kay was a little girl, she got fed up with all the extra and unpronounced letters in English words. French is (somewhat) more phonetically-correct and the spelling of words like "brought" and "though" with their silent "gh's" seemed pretty arbitrary (and silly) to her in comparison. She informed us one day: "I am going to change the spelling of my name. From now on, I will spell my name L-U-G-H and it will be pronounced 'Kay.' "
I guess L. has decided something similar. When A. asked her the other day how to spell her name, I overheard her answer: "P-U-B."
So, she might have been craving some fine English ale, or she might have just been messing with her sister. But I kind of think that, like her auntie so many years ago, she has had enough and has decided to liberate herself from the tyranny of the English language.
Bravo!

1 comment:

Auntie J said...

I think I told you this: P insists that his name is spelled P-I-S.

I mean, they're right on the money sometimes, aren't they?