Wednesday, July 8, 2009

what I didn't tell Stacy...

Aunt "Sassy" was out of town for the weekend, and on Monday and Tuesday we went and kept our cousins company. We had a great time, but I didn't tell Stacy the whole story...
First, the plumbing backed up and flooded part of the basement. She knew that part. What she didn't know was that as I opened the door to let the plumber in, the dog escaped and ran throughout the neighborhood. Not just across the street, but around the corner and across several more blocks. Sam chased her for about 20 minutes before finally succeeding in luring her back.
It was about this time that I realized that I hadn't brought along enough diapers for BR, so he got to wear an extra pair of the girls' underpants while I held my breath.
Later, A. took a fall and gashed her knee and bled on the floor and the rug. It took quite awhile to get the wound to stop bleeding (while I started doing pre-strategizing on how to get us all to the ER) and she was terrified from all the blood and HOWLED the whole time. At least we weren't denied all the appropriate sound effects.
Kay helped out by putting BR down for his nap so I could attend to A. Then I tried (unsuccessfully) to soothe her down for a nap. I walked out of the room ONCE to check on something and she didn't make it to the toilet on time. So I came back and cleaned her up, and then got to work the toilet, the tub and the sink.
I checked in with my cousin Daniel (who had taken himself to the Urgent Care during this time) and he reported that he had now finally reached a heightened level of concern since the doctor informed him that his recurring ear infection could spread to his brain, and/or he could also lose his hearing in that ear if he didn't get this resolved. (Ack!)
Meanwhile--and unbeknownst to us--BR had woken up from his nap prematurely and gotten a hold of a can of shoe polish. Who knew that the lovely wooden box within reach of his crib would contain shoe polish, of all things. Me. I SHOULD have known this. There is ALWAYS some hidden can of toxic poison within arm's reach of toddlers when you least expect it. Luckily, he didn't ingest any, and he didn't even climb out of his pack n'play to spread it on Stacy's bedroom rug or bedspread. He simply decorated himself, the pack n'play and (most mysteriously of all since she was nowhere near him) the front of L's dress.
We got him cleaned up just in time to pull the dog's tail and she barked at him and he got scared and wailed for awhile. Then A. took a turn provoking the dog and she bit her and A. wailed. Then the dog barked to warn us all that BR had escaped out the front door somehow and so we forgave her for biting A. (who was probably sitting on her head or something at the time, anyway).
I found pieces of my new phone on the floor, but I found all of them so I was able to put it back together again. I found BR climbing on the kitchen island and understood how and why there were pieces of my phone on the floor. And the dog escaped, again, and Sam went after her, again.
Then we had a nice game of badminton and played in the sprinklers and I gave them pizza and brownies and it was wonderful. And then we went home and they all went to sleep at 7:30.


When I stopped to think about it, I realized that for the kids, this was a totally awesome day. They probably didn't even notice all the rest of it because they were having so much fun.


So my question is: why are THEY the ones in bed at 7:30?

5 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

Wow. That's all I have to say. I think you should still be in bed now.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what an exciting life you lead! I sure hope you plan to write a book!!
Grammie

Anonymous said...

in your blog it is unclear why A bit the dog...? I think you should give the dog a small child to take care of (she seemed to do a good job!) and you watch the rest of them...

kit said...

uh, thanks yet again for another dose of emotional birth control.
even so i miss your kiddies. . .

olittles said...

Um...I think I'm gonna second Kit's comment here. I think I need to take a nap after reading that.